When are consents required for fibre installation?

A consent may be required for the Local Fibre Company to lay out fibre in order to provide a connection to your address.

Consents are required in the following scenarios: 

  • Landlord: Your landlord's consent is required if you live in a leased/rented accommodation.
  • Rights of Way (ROW) or Cross Lease: If your house is accessible via a shared driveway or if your house is on a piece of land which is owned by multiple parties, then consent from your neighbors or individuals who have access to the shared driveway/land. 
  • Multi Dwelling Unit (MDU): If your house is part of a office building, apartment building or some retirement village, then consents are required from the property owner (body corporate, company or individual) before installing fibre. 
  • In addition, consents from utility power companies might be required for build work. 

The process of gaining consents is dependent on your Local Fibre Company (LFC). A summary for this process is presented below:

  • For Chorus, consents are gained by a dedicated consent gaining team. You only need to provide the contact details of the respective individuals from whom consents are required based on the type of your property. 
  • For Enable/Ultrafast Fibre/Northpower, when an order for fibre is placed for your address, their respective service desk sends an email containing all required consent forms and you can get the consents from the respective individuals. 

Our partners at Chorus have prepared short videos explaining the process.

Additional details on this process can be found in our dedicated section for consents.

Once the consents have been gained gained, the Local Fibre Company can proceed with network configurations, build work and installations. 

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request